Dog accidentally started house fire when it jumped up at the cooker, fire fighters say

A house fire was started after a dog accidentally turned on a cooker, fire fighters have said.

Items left on the property’s cooker caught fire after the pet jumped up and pressed a button, turning the appliance on while the occupants were out.

The semi-detached house in Braintree, Essex, has been left “uninhabitable” after the accident on Tuesday night.

Three people tried to rescue the pet from the burning building but had to be treated for smoke inhalation following the incident, which happened around 7pm.

A spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said the dog had died in the fire.  She added that the occupants had come home to find their home “full of smoke”.

“The fire is thought to have been started accidentally by the occupant’s dog who had jumped up at the cooker and turned the cooker on,” she said.

“Items left on the cooker then caught light. The property had smoke alarms fitted, but they did not have working batteries.

“The kitchen has been destroyed and the rest of the house has suffered extensive smoke damage. The house is no longer habitable.”

The fire service added that the incident showed the importance of having working smoke alarms and said people should remember to shut their internal doors when they go out to stop flames spreading in the event of a fire.